Friday, November 1, 2013

Bind Up Their Wounds

I enjoy reading talks from the Priesthood session.  This talk was given by President Eyring.

"You and the priesthood bearers you are called to lead can have at least three assurances. First, the Lord will give you, if you ask, the feelings of compassion He feels for those in need. Second, He will provide others, like the innkeeper, to join with you in your service. And third, the Lord, like the good Samaritan, will more than recompense all who join in giving help to those in need."

I loved this quote because I see it evidence of it daily with Vince's calling.  There are always people available to help when he needs it.  People are always willing to serve and look out for each other.  Being a Bishop's wife has just strengthened my testimony that everyone wants to give their best and works toward that end.  If we fall short it's because we maybe get a bit distracted, worn down, or aren't aware of needs we may be able to help with; however, when presented with opportunities people will always choose to serve!  

"He knows whose wife was near the breaking point because her husband was unable to find time to do what she needed done to care for her needs. He knows which children would be blessed by seeing their father go one more time to help others or if the children needed the feeling that they matter to their father enough for him to spend time with them that day. But He also knows who needs the invitation to serve but might not appear to be a likely or willing candidate.  You cannot know all your quorum members perfectly well, but God does. So, as you have done so many times, you prayed to know whom to ask to help serve others. The Lord knows who will be blessed by being asked to help and whose family will be blessed by not being asked. That is the revelation you can expect to come to you as you lead in the priesthood."
This part is comforting to me.  I always worried about how hard it would be to have my husband serve in a calling that took him out of the home as much as this one does, but it really isn't bad.  He's gone more than he's here and some things take longer to resolve (ie broken cars and dishwashers and if you came to our house now you would see wall patches that have been in progress for weeks) but I find that I am generally calmer and more patient about pretty much everything.  When I was washing dishes by hand for so long I mostly felt a calm strength every time my hands entered the warm water.  Instead of my very dry skin drying out even more due to the constant washing, my skin actually improved.  Walking to school was pleasurable and I was somehow never late.  There are more blessings to serving than not and I know that when a I really need Vince the Lord will have him home.
"... you cannot help people repair spiritual damage unless your own faith is vibrant. That means far more than reading the scriptures regularly and praying over them. The prayer in the moment and quick glances in the scriptures are not preparation enough. The reassurance of what you will need comes with this counsel from the 84th section of the Doctrine and Covenants: “Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.”2That promise can be claimed only if we “treasure up” the words of life and do it continually. The treasuring part of that scripture has meant for me a matter of feeling something about the words."
I like the idea of "vibrant faith".  Miriam Webster defines vibrant as "having or showing great life, activity, and energy; very bright and strong; loud and powerful".  It's a beautiful imagery for me to ponder.  I'm not sure my faith could always be described as showing great energy or being very bright.  I also love the the counsel to treasure up the words of life continually.  I like how he describes this as feeling something about the words.
“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure.”3

No comments: