Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sunday morning I was feeling really great and decided to make blueberry muffins for breakfast. From a mix, of course, but muffins are muffins. I even told the kids that they each only got two muffins instead of three because I wanted to have some and that would leave Vince and I two apiece as well. Of course Vince only had one muffin, but we knew that was going to happen after my breakfast confessions, right? You do the math and you'll know how many I had. Anyhow. It took a really long time for the oven to preheat, but I thought maybe I lost track of time or I was just confused because--and I know this is another topic for another day--Daylight Savings Time is killing me this year!! After the muffins had been in the oven for 20 minutes and looked pretty much the same I realized that my oven was not working. The bake element had broken so it only took almost an hour for the muffins to actually bake and they looked really funny because people kept opening the oven door. None of this prevented us from inhaling them.

Here's the funny part. All day Sunday and Monday and most of Tuesday I had tons of free time and every time I would have a couple of minutes I would say to myself, "I wish I could bake bread." Then my alter ego would reply, "Bake bread!? Did you really just say that? Because you have baked bread ONCE this entire year! Now that you can't bake you only want to bake?" Then a few hours later I would think, "what am I going to cook for dinner?" And all I could think of to make, all that I was hungry for, involved baking in the oven. Not broiling, not the indoor grill, not microwaving, or cooking on the stove. No. I was only hungry for baked casseroles. Because I generally only bake dinner twice a month. I generally consider myself a reasonable person, but I have to admit that this week I was a nut case about the oven.

Last night Vince fixed the oven element. The new element came quickly thanks to my father. Vince came home and installed it the very first thing. So today I am going to broil myself some chicken for dinner. Who bakes anymore anyway?

4 comments:

remiengang said...

You are too funny!! You always make me laugh!!

The Bemis Family said...

I will confess to being a frequent baker, I am constantly using my oven!! I onetime had my microwave go out and I had the same problem -- all my brain could think of was how much I needed my microwave.

Garity said...

I am so glad you have a blog!!!! I've added you to my list of course because after reading this post (and having my own oven issues here in Mexico ARGH!) I am so there with you when it comes to wanting to use the ONE appliance that doesn't work at the moment (this of course doesn't include the dishwasher). Ok, I'm going to have some fun reading tonight!

Molly said...

What a pain with the oven element. Today I asked my son how long he planned on waiting for his frozen pizza to cook by leaving it sitting on the stove and not putting it into the oven.