Friday, August 20, 2010

I'm From Venus, He's From ... #3

Do any of you have husbands out there who seem to be frequently......

vague?  Or undecided?

Like this year is our 15th anniversary and after 14 anniversaries of barely going out--there are some stories there but I'm trying to bury the hatchet and move on--we have decided to take 2 nights AWAY!

This is so exciting!  As a general rule, Vince and I have never taken/had the luxury of much time to ourselves.  It began when we were dating and each had big job and church responsibilities that limited our dating opportunities followed by a 5 month summer apart when I was in Oregon and he in Arizona.  After that we took full-time 50-80 hour a week jobs in the treadmill factory to pay for school where we both took full-time credits.  When we graduated we moved to Oregon to start the job search and after just a month or so Vince was hired on a probation-type status so he moved to Utah while I stayed in Oregon for a few months.  When I finally got to Utah we each had big church responsibilities and more kids and, well, here we are.  We had one night without the kids 5-7 years ago (I can't remember when exactly) thanks to my parents and we had another one in June thanks to Uncle S and Aunt K.

So you can imagine I am thrilled that we have committed to going somewhere.  Anywhere.  I don't care where.  But he does.  He wants to decide the place, which is TOTALLY fine with me and I think it's cool that he wants to decide.  But DECIDE already!!!  We've been talking for a couple of months and he can't decide.  All he has to do is pick a city/town.  When I ask he typically says something like, "Don't worry...I'll decide....we'll go somewhere."  Ugh.  I want to make reservations, already.

So this week the perfect opportunity presented itself.  Some teenagers I know are acting in a play.  The first play I ever attended is when this same group of kids presented A Midsummer Night's Dream and I went because I had a student in it and she really wanted me to go and I was VERY reluctant to go but I dragged a great friend with me and we had a blast!  It was amazing!!  So we are taking our husbands to the play tonight.  And I had a feeling that if I told Vince where we were going he would come up with a reason to not go out tonight.  So I decided to tell him nothing.  And I thought that maybe he would understand how frustrating it is to not have any idea what is planned!  Because I clearly like to know.  I have been waiting all week for him to ask me what we're doing tonight.

Last night he asked.  And I said something like he would say:

"Oh, we're going to a thing....we'll leave around 6:30 or so."

And HE said...........



OK

Sigh.

2 comments:

One Fish said...

This makes me giggle.

Eva Aurora said...

I totally relate to husband vagueness, but in a different sense. I will ask mine a question and then he will sort of grunt, which is not an answer. So I'll sit and wait expectantly, and EVERY TIME either the subject gets changed or someone interrupts us and I end up with 1000 unanswered questions and a feeling of helplessness to make any decisions.

But my husband would have been all over the getaway thing.

Have fun tonight! I hope you don't have to tie him up and throw him in the car when he finally asks.