Monday, August 16, 2010

Disturbing Shopping Behavior

I went shopping with kids.  That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?  I mean, really, it took me about 2 months to figure out that was a bad idea...when Eva was a baby.  And yet I continue to subject myself to the experience.  Just kidding--they're all old enough that I don't mind taking them anymore, especially when I can just take one or two at a time.

Today I took Nathan.  We were having a good time.  He wanted to spend some time with me doing a "project".  I didn't have much time for a project as we were out of bread, milk, eggs, cereal, ....well you get the idea.  I taught piano until 3:00 and then made a list of what we would need for the next two weeks.  And then when I got home remembered a few more things we need before school starts.  Of course.  Anyway.  Halfway through our "project" he declares he tired, cold, hungry, didn't have a snack, his feet hurt, OH--can we buy THIS?   You know what I'm talking about.  But I was really having a good time anyway and enjoying the change in scenery. 

At one point in the produce section, I noticed a woman staring intently at Nathan as we were walking past.  I thought it was really disconcerting--enough that I had the following 5 second conversation with myself.  "Do I know her? What's she looking at?  Is she looking at me?  Does she recognize him from somewhere?  Maybe I should ask her what's so interesting about my 6 year old son.  Seriously?  She's still looking?  Oh well.  We are almost done and I'm feeling good enough to forget about....NATHAN"  That's the conversation I had in my head--here's what I said out loud:  "Get your finger out of your nose!"  Seriously. He had it waaaay up there!  He said to me: "But there's something stuck up there Mom!"  I said, "I don't care--wait until you have a Kleenex or something!"  And then I imagined the 5 adults in earshot of our cart wondering what produce we had been shopping for and vowing to wash EVERYTHING as soon as they got home!

1 comment:

Eva Aurora said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Let's just say I completely and totally understand everything you just talked about here on a first-hand basis.