Sunday, June 12, 2011

Big Performance

Last night was my big performance at the assembly hall--my family was really excited.  For it to be over.  Eva put it succinctly when she said, "Finally!"  The whole thing turned into a much bigger project than I ever would have imagined and I had a few 4+ hour practices as well as my practicing at home, attempting to write modulations, key changes, and accompianments.  Most of this was well over my head and I was clearly out of my league.  The soloist has a beautiful soprano voice and is a fabulous performer but I think she would do better with a pianist who could play by ear--it would be a better fit for her, I think. 

BUT I had a great time--especially last night!  By that time it was clear there was nothing I could "do over" or "do better" so I decided on the drive in to Salt Lake that I was just going to enjoy myself and enjoy the assembly hall and enjoy being with the friends I had made during the project.  And I did just that!  The assembly hall is a beautiful building!!  As a performer, I not only got to be on the stage but I got to go behind the stage and see the green room, and the halls and doorways leading to the upstairs seating, main floor seating, and the stage.  Every door was only about 6' or so--much shorter than what we're used to, anyway, and each had a beautiful doorknob with the beehive symbol on it.  The green rooms had beautiful antique looking upholstered seating and cabinets (with the fancy doorknobs) that opened to a mirror with a string of lights to check hair and make-up.  We also got to go downstairs where there was a classroom and a piano for extra last minute practicing, teaching, etc.  I'm not sure what they use it for.  One of the people in charge (there were two couples--missionaries) took us downstairs to see the rooms where Richard Elliot and the other organists work.  The three organists each have their own room and in each room is a full pipe organ and grand piano.  One of the rooms also had a harpsichord.  We also saw the tunnel that leads from the Assembly Hall to all the other tunnels under Temple Square.  The couples that work with the performers are excellent--so nice and friendly!  I want their job someday!!

I got to play on a 9 foot Steinway grand piano.  It was a huge instrument and I was relieved when they said they didn't think we needed the lid open!  The piano was so easy to play--it was easier than I ever would have thought to play notes softly and it was also very easy to play a nice tone.  The instrument was beautifully balanced, which in rehearsal took me a little while to get accustomed to.  I decided that if I had something like that to practice on I would likely want to practice all the time!  It was easier (than any piano I get to play on) to make the music sound "right" on that piano.   

The performance went well--for me, it was the best I'd played the full set of music in one sitting, but there was definitely still room for improvement.  Still, I was happy with it, knowing I did my best with the time I had and the challenges thrown at me.  For this performance, it would have been less stressful for me if I had been pursuing my personal music more aggressively through the years.  Sometimes I have wondered if I regretted letting some of the skills go.  I have had people ask me if I regret not getting my music degree.   I can honestly say I only regretted it last night and at rehearsals for this project.  Even then I didn't really feel "regret" as much as I felt inadequate.  Mostly, I felt a little as Eva did, that I would be glad to finish this project and get back to what I really love doing now--being a mom and taking care of my family and helping them develop their talents.  The degree I did get in college has been immeasurably valuable to me in being a mother, especially a mother to Nathan.  I know that if I did not have my BSW I would not have been able to fight for and help Nathan as effectively as I have.  It was fun to meet a couple of other women who have aggressively pursued their musical talents through the years--it was neat to see and hear where their musical talents have taken them and what they've been able to accomplish. 

I was excited that Lisa showed up to the performance.  I was a little disappointed that no one in my family (Vince and kids--my other family is too far away, of course) would be able to come and it was a special surprise when we were finished to see Lisa walking my way--she stayed with me the rest of the night and then we talked after.  I love having a sister so close and being able to talk with her about things like this!  She also helped me try to configure modulations and taught me some theory--thanks Lisa for being such a support!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I wouldn't have missed it for anything! You did a fabulous job!

Amy said...

Way to go! Now you can enjoy your summer!:) I'll bet that even though you noticed a few places that you could have done better no one else could tell. You are amazing and very talented.