Monday, May 16, 2011

A New Deal

Everyday I deal with the unjustness of people having to practice--"it's not fair!", "it takes to long"--I wholeheartedly agree with that last complaint--often they complain 40 minutes before beginning 20 minutes of practicing.  Ivy will even go into a room and spend 30 minutes opening the violin case, 20 minutes putting the shoulder rest on the instrument and (I'm not making this up) once spent 35 minutes tightening the bow--it's a 2 second job.  And then she stops (at least) at the end of every song to chat about it. 

So I made a deal.  That I may regret.  It's either brilliant or foolish.  I made an exchange of sorts: Eva's practicing for my cardio workout, Ethan's practicing for my weights, Ivy's practicing for my personal scripture study, and Nathan's practicing for my journaling.  If I don't get my journaling done today, then Nathan doesn't have to practice tomorrow, etc.  If they don't get their practicing done--they owe me an extra chore the following day. 

It's a good thing we only have four children because it's just after 11:00 and I've only finished the cardio and weights.  And now journaling!  :) 

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, you are BRAVE! You're going to be in shape in-side and out... or else!!
Seriously, why do kids take so long transitioning? What is going on in their heads during that time?

Molly said...

What an awesome idea. It is brilliant, but you might be awful tired when the day ends. You know, I might steal this idea to use on my kids....