Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ethan's Eyes

A couple weeks ago Ethan brought home a note from school saying he had a little trouble at the vision screening and should see an eye doctor to get his vision evaluated.  I made an appointment and  we went there this morning.  (Eva's totally jealous because she wants glasses--that girl loves her accessories!)  Ethan hasn't been too concerned about this because he's certain that the nurse made an error--so certain that he told me that he didn't need to get his eyes checked again.  So certain that he told the receptionist and the nurse and the doctor.  The nurse said something like, "I don't know--that's quite a prescription" after she had him read the little letters and checked the different lenses. 

Then the doctor came in and asked Ethan how he felt about his eyesight and Ethan told him his eyesight was fine that once in a while he might have a little trouble seeing something but that for the most part he can see everything he wants and needs to see.  The doctor said, "Let me set the record straight once and for all...........You can't!"  And he promptly wrote a prescription for glasses and took a picture of the inside of Ethan's eyes because he has something that looks like glaucoma but for someone Ethan's age it's more of something to be aware of and have a record of.  The doctor was fun and we had an enjoyable visit.  Ethan is not disappointed about having to wear glasses because when the nurse was checking the lenses he seemed to get a bit excited about how easy it was to see things.  The doctor talked to him about how squinting was really not the best way to view the world.  Ethan selected some nice looking frames and we should get his glasses in 7-10 business days.

Now I may consider taking Eva in because she thinks she may need glasses (although she did once say she wants glasses because everyone else has them).  I say consider because a couple of years ago she wanted braces (because everyone else had braces)and until this morning I wouldn't consider taking her to the eye doctor because I don't think getting glasses because everyone else has them is really a great reason.  BUT Ethan's eyes were worse than I every would have imagined and the doctor did say that as he grows we are going to need to take him in to get his prescription adjusted.  If Ethan's eyesight was that poor then maybe Eva has a real need for glasses after all.  Maybe I'll decide this summer when we're done with more of Nathan's stuff!

1 comment:

Bettridge Family said...

I'm so glad he can see now! I remember when I got glasses thinking how crisp everything looked. I could see birds in trees. Now I hate glasses so much that I had eye surgery. Someday Eva will wish she had perfect vision.