Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Family Home Evening

We started with a song chosen by Eva, I Know My Father Lives. I picked the starting note and it was in a lower key because I didn't want to sing high and Eva spent the whole time frowning because it was in a different key than the one in the book--near perfect/perfect pitch IS a curse!

Ethan offered a prayer which was uneventful and sweet because he prayed that his siblings would be healthy--he was home quite sick yesterday.

Nathan had scripture and it was at this point that I realized I forgot to help him with it. No problem! He knew he had the scripture and he had his scriptures out and open to a page and started "reading"--rather, relating a story. None of us were quite sure about the specifics but there was a lot of fighting, some death, Nephi, the Lord, and help. This went on for almost 5 minutes. At the beginning I offered to help, but he declined. 3 minutes into it Vince offered more assertive assistance and was rebuffed. We eventually just sat and listened and smiled at each other and tried not to giggle. In the end, "the Lord helped Nephi".

Next was the lesson and I was in charge of that. It was a good lesson (about Repentance) until I asked Vince if he could explain a scripture and he explained it differently than I anticipated, resulting in a healthy discussion between he and I. The kids found this very amusing and quickly picked "sides". (Ethan woke up this morning and asked who was right and I told him we both were and explained it to him--Vince didn't say anything and I started to ask him if that was right and then decided I didn't really want to know and it didn't really matter anyway and Vince didn't offer anything so--all's well that ends well!) The irony that it was mom and dad engaging in distracting discussion during FHE was not lost on me--or the kids. During last night's discussion Ivy handed out her activity, a coloring page, and the kids all colored, ate cookies (Dad's treat), and listened to Mom and Dad have a gospel discussion. Good times.

1 comment:

One Fish said...

I love N's scripture story. Hilarious.