Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Like the music? Yes, that's what it has felt like to me the past couple of weeks. Here is the "short" version. I'll start with today and then work backwards.

This morning we all had to be out of the house by 7:30. Ev and I made it and the others were mostly ready so I trusted them to make it to the neighbor's house so she could get them to school and then Ev and I went to choir practice. The last one! We practiced and then Grandma O came to the school and watched Ev's choir perform (Ev also played her violin for one song) and Ev and Iy perform. Then Ev and Et both received medals and certificates for perfect attendance. And then Ev and Et both received a Superintendant Academic Award for having a 3.7 or higher for the whole year. And then Ev received one of 3 citizenship awards for the whole school this year. And then Et received an award for having a Reading Iowa Test score in the top 10% for the nation. And then Ev received an award for top 10% in the nation Iowa Test scores in a couple of subjects, I don't remember which, and also composite and core test results in the top 10%. We were all proud and surprised--great work kids!

Last night we had a school swimming party which included dinner and fun in the water. For the kids anyway, I just sat on the side and watched to make sure they didn't drown. It was perfect timing because we were in need of a little bit of R&R.

Last Friday we drove to Eagle Mountain and stayed the night with Grandma O so we could start fixing a few things with her and dad could get up and help Uncle W pour concrete early Saturday morning. The concrete job went really fast and dad didn't have to do too much and I was able to help with a few things at Grandma's house with Vince finished. Then we drove to Orem and helped Uncle K move. Vince and I were REALLY proud of our kids! Ev, Et, and Iv basically helped me and the four of us moved just about all the boxes ourselves. Uncle K was moving across the street so we would load the Expedition and then unload. The kids also helped take care of their little cousins. Vince mostly worked on helping with the refrigerator--it difficult to get through the doors. He also disassembled both cribs (yes, they have two babies) and reassembled them. By the time he finished that there was only one small load of stuff left to move. After the move we came home and crashed! Sunday was quiet and restful and normal. Monday morning we woke up and helped Uncle J and Aunt L build a patio in their backyard. It was a long day but we were able to get it almost all finished!

Et had a pack meeting and received his bear badge. He has also earned some arrows, a Leave No Trace Award, and several belt loops and a couple of pins. He will probably get those this month and the next. Ev expressed a desire for and we have been able to make it possible for her to play cello with the elementary orchestra next year. Because apparently she doesn't have enough to do. She is also starting a new piano student this summer and is raising her teaching rate. She will charge $5 instead of $3. The piano has been a great way to build her saving account.

N had preschool graduation. I cried. I have never cried at any of this stuff because I am just not a crier but the whole experience was really touching. It was kind of funny because they had a little place for the kids to step up on where they would receive their award and stand for a minute so a parent could snap their picture. Some of the kids would literally set up "camp" there. I have a picture of N heading to the spot and then....
nothing.
He just kept walking, didn't stop for a minute or even turn and look. He grabbed his envelope from his teacher and kept walking, head down, until he got back to his seat. So we had to get his picture on the stand when it was all over. It was sad to say good bye to these teachers and people that have been working with N for 2 and a half years. They're the same people who worked with Iv for over a year. We will have to visit them. Now N is home and he doesn't have school and he is BORED! He keeps saying, "Do I have school?" I say "No." He says, "What are we going to do? How about now? What are we going to do now?" Yesterday we made cupcakes together. Today he is playing with a friend. I'm taking suggestions for what to do tomorrow...

I do have pictures. No word on when I'm going to get around to putting them on the computer and blogging them. But I will get to them. And I can't find the white books. I think the kids got wind of my intent to publish excerpts. But I will share a couple of memorable quotes for now. When I find them I'll blog more. Et had some of the most memorable stuff. The first assignment of his book was to write a descriptive word for each letter of his name. I don't remember all of them but I do remember E was Energy and N was Nice. I laughed when I saw it because he NAILED it with Energy!! He also wrote what he likes about our family and I don't remember what it was but I do remember what he didn't like about our family. He doesn't like that "we all have to do piano" and he doesn't like that "We all have to weed the garden". When I talked to him about it he expressed frustration that his teacher wouldn't let him use the word "HATE". His book had some great stuff in it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your kids did so great. I wanted to let you know that I left you a blog award over at my blog. Feel free to pick it up next time you are over. :) Have a great day!