Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm From Venus, He's From....

I've been debating whether or not to post it, but I have to because this story is such a good example of how different my hubby and I are and why we're soooo good for each other.

Last week on facebook I got a friend request from a person I'd never heard from before. It was a little strange and it came with a message: "I know a olcott. He did a mission in Brazil. You know him?" Oh yes! I know him! My Vince served a mission in Brazil and I think this is SOOO exciting!! And 10 minutes later Vince walks in the door from work and I say to him, "Vince! I got a friend request from someone that knew you as a missionary!"

He says, "OK".
Me: "Don't you want to see?"
Him: "After I do my workout." He gets changed and goes downstairs to lift weights. I am a bit befuddled. It's driving me crazy, actually, so I go downstairs to tell him again. Maybe he didn't understand what I had said.

Me: "This guy knows you from Brazil and I think he's from Brazil because his Facebook has a lot of Portugese and his name is De Soussa."
Him: "There's lots of De Soussas. It's like Smith."

So I go back upstairs and write the name down so I get it right and take it to him and show him the name.
Him: "Yeah. He was a missionary with me."
Me: "Cool! Don't you want to come see?!!!"
Him: "I will when I'm done."
Me: AAAARGH. "OK."

So I go back upstairs to wait. And he is taking FOR-EVER until finally I have to leave and take Ev to her violin lesson. After Ev's lesson I asked him if he looked and he said, "Yeah, I remember him."
Me: Not able to stand the suspense anymore, "Aren't you excited?!! Did you request him as a friend?"
Him: "No. Not yet. I might do it next week."
Me: Double AAAARGH. "Really? Aren't you kind of a little excited?"
Him: "It's been over 15 years." Like that makes it less exciting. NOOOO! That makes it MORE exciting!! Everyone in our household knows that when I find an old friend on facebook I get totally excited! Especially if it's someone that I lived with, like old roommates and other good friends I've lost track of. I've been known to jump up and down, cry, laugh, .... We are so different. Fast forward to a week later.

Me: "So did you ever request that guy on facebook?"
Him: "No. He found me."
Me: Trying to sound relaxed, "Cool. Did you write a message to him? Look at his family?"
Him: "No."

Sigh.

5 comments:

Lynette said...

LOL!!! That is so funny. Vince is a lot like Jim.

One Fish said...

lol- I am totally cracking up right now because this is oh so familiar. I guess it just gives me more rope to be the high stress one in my family.

Stacy said...

This is a conversation that could have happened at my house! How funny!

Garity said...

That is hilarious! Kris gets excited when it's a friend from high school or college but mission friends...ehhh, whatever. He served in Costa Rica and unfortunately, any of his companions who have gotten back in touch (there have been so many!) have only wanted one thing...help getting a visa for themselves or family so he doesn't even respond anymore which I think is sad.
Did you know I grew up in Brazil? Where did Vince serve? I lived in Brasilia and Rio but way before he would have served his mission there of course!

Anonymous said...

You are a better woman than I. I'm sitting here laughing hysterically since this is my life in a nutshell. Thanks for reminding me that it really is funny! Sometimes when it's me in the situation, I'm too close to it to laugh. As always, you've given me a well-written, hilarious reality check. Still laughing....