Thursday, October 24, 2013

Meekness

I have been working my way through conference the past few weeks.  I haven't hardly begun to really study any of it but I already have a favorite talk, one that made my spirit sing.  It's "Be Meek and Lowly of Heart" by Elder Soares.  My favorite pieces:

"The Apostle Paul taught that meekness is a fruit of the Spirit.4 Therefore, it can most easily be attained if we “live in the Spirit.”5 And to live in the Spirit, our lifestyle must reflect righteousness before the Lord."  I guess I hadn't given much thought to meekness being a fruit of the Spirit but when I read, hear, or ponder that thought I feel like smiling.

"Being meek does not mean weakness, but it does mean behaving with goodness and kindness, showing strength, serenity, healthy self-worth, and self-control."  I love these attributes, and have been working at developing them the past several years.  I especially love the four S words: strength, serenity, self-worth, and self-control.  I think one of the hardest for me has been serenity but I feel like I'm beginning to feel it.

"President Lorenzo Snow, the fifth prophet of our dispensation, taught, “It is our duty to try to be perfect, … to improve each day, and look upon our course last week and do things better this week; do things better today than we did them yesterday.”11 So the first step to becoming meek is to improve day by day."  Actually I loved all of President Snow's thoughts but I was touched by the gentle reminder that we need only work one day at a time.

I loved the story about Brother Mahlangu, who attended church "through the window" because his country did not allow him to be part of the congregation.  I take so much for granted.  It is a true spirit of meekness that a person would want to learn of Christ so much that he would willing and graciously sit outside an open window, alone, subject to adverse weather!  And some days I complain in my head about finding/taking time to read my scriptures...  So now when those thoughts come I can remember Brother Mahlangu's example.


No comments: