Thursday, April 5, 2012

Where I Write MSNBC

Today I wrote my first note to a news agency.  I'm disappointed, frustrated, ....  about these comments made Tuesday by MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell:


"Mormonism was created by a guy in upstate New York in 1830 when he got caught having sex with the maid and explained to his wife that God told him to do it," O'Donnell said on his MSNBC show. "Forty-eight wives later, Joseph Smith's lifestyle was completely sanctified in the religion he invented to go with it. Which Mitt Romney says he believes."


I suppose this package of lies is not new to O'Donnell--here's a quote from 2009:


"The more you know about Romney's religion, the more you want to ask him questions about it. Your religion was founded by an alcoholic criminal named Joseph Smith who committed bank fraud and claimed God told him polygamy was cool after his first wife caught him having an affair with the maid and who then went on to have 33 wives, and you really believe every word that he said and wrote?"


I don't know how a reasonable reporter could be this misinformed.  I believe The Church of Jesus Christ does a reasonable job of making information available and there have been numerous articles written on a national level that do a reasonable job of explaining our faith.  So I wrote a letter to MSNBC:



"I have gladly counted on your news service for world news updates but I have been discouraged to read about Lawrence O'Donnell's depiction of Mormonism.  The inaccuracies are staggering at best--a disgusting display of bigotry.  
"In my mind, the numerous spurious statements he made in regards to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints make me question the facts of any of your news reports.  
"I recommend that Mr. O'Donnell publicly apologize and correct his misstatements.  This is the least he could do.  Truthfully, if he had made such egregious remarks against another faith I believe the man would be fired.  I'm not certain that he shouldn't be fired in this case.
"I'm not demanding he lose his job.  But if no apology/correction is forthcoming I will choose to get my news from a more trustworthy source and recommend to all friends, family, and blog readers that they do the same.
"Thank you for your attention in this matter."  


I don't know that my little note will make a difference to the people at MSNBC but I feel better at having writing it.  If you want to write a quick note, here's the link:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10285339/

I clicked on "The Last Word" for Subject because that's O'Donnell's show.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Way to go! I've not seen or heard O'Donnell before, but I'm astounded at the "facts" he seems to have come up with. Not only that, but the absolute disgust he seems to have in his tone for a religion. News people are suppose to be unbiased, but he is way off base in every way.

Linnea said...

Thanks Molly. I've not watched him before either, but his comments made the news on another station. His "facts" are definitely astounding!