Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Assembly Hall

Assembly Hall on Temple Square

I always loved this building--it seems so magical to me.  I can remember the first time I visited Temple Square as a child and I immediately fell in love with this building!  I've always wanted to go inside but have never found the time--the building never seems as intriguing to whoever I'm walking around the grounds with.  Vince and Eva have performed with the community choir here but I had to stay home with the kids.  Children younger than eight can't attend performances in the Assembly Hall.  (Eva has also performed at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.)

Lucky me--I get to perform here June 11th.  I've known about it for several weeks and been a little excited!  There is a soprano in my community (Helena Baird) who apparently had four different individuals recommend me (I have no idea who).  She first asked me to accompany her in December but Vince and I were celebrating our anniversary for that one.  This time I was ready to tell her that I was too busy but I opened with "how many rehearsals do you intend to have?" and she answered that she thinks getting together once or twice before the performance is adequate.  So I said I could handle that!  Then she asked my for my bio--specifically indicating who I trained with and where I've performed.  I fully expected her to contact me and let me know she's going with someone else after she read my bio.  But she didn't.  She did, however, ask me how I am with my chord reading/improvising skills.  I thought she'd cancel after that, too, but she didn't.  She's bringing music to my house within a week.  The program celebrates mothers/motherhood--so I feel great about participating!  And I get to see the inside of the Assembly Hall!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Exciting!! I've been asked to sing in a couple of things lately, too. I can't figure it out. But it HAS been fun! Enjoy the Assembly Hall!!

Molly said...

Wow! What an honor. Congratulations and have fun.

Bettridge Family said...

That is like a dream come true! How exciting for you.

The Girls' Mom said...

Congratulations! Im sure you'll be wonderful.