Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Good News, Bad News

Good news: After 3-4 months of no microwave, we now have a new one!!  This is extremely exciting--now when I'm gone for speech and other things we can actually reheat food and eat before 8:30 at night!

Bad News: We found water in the light fixture in the family room...it came from the sink in the kitchen, where the disposal apparently had a leak.

Good News: Vince took out a ton of ceiling drywall down there--some of it was damaged from the water.  We ended up with an 8x8 foot square hole in the ceiling--I know it was kind of bad news to me too and I was a little perturbed until he "suggested" we could add some recessed lighting in that room.  Which was a great idea!  So now we have 6 new can lights and some new ceiling drywall in the family room and Vince and I were excited to discover the room looks twice as big now!

Bad News:  Our plan was to live without a garbage disposal for the forseeable future....I'll admit that I was a little worried to fix it because then I just knew something else would break, but it turns out that the disposal had a major flaw and that water was leaking from it even when we weren't using it.

Good News: We have a new disposal!

I hope nothing else breaks, but I must say it is a little fun to fix things and make them better than they were to begin with!  Maybe in a week or so I will post some pictures of that room and the kitchen table I refinished!  I've almost finished refinishing a buffet/dresser for our living room and I may post pictures of that too--I'm really excited about it.  When the dresser is completely finished I'll refinish the benches in the kitchen.  We also found a sofa and loveseat on the classifieds for $35.  They're a floral design and don't quite match our room, but I've been learning about how to make custom slipcovers and I think I'm going to do that this summer.  I'm developing a love for remaking/refinishing furniture and stuff.  I have a few other projects I'm working on, but it's taking me longer than I'd like to finish them.  I'll have Eva post pictures...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Jeesh! When it rains it pours! Glad that it turned out well. I love doing furniture, too. Can't wait to see your projects!!

One Fish said...

Why can't you live closer to me? I totally need someone to refinish/slipcover things with. I'm not motivated enough to do it by myself unless I can use spraypaint.